Real Nappies are easy to use. Gone are the days of soaking and boiling. With the use of modern washing machines and flushable, or washable liners you simply dispose of the baby's solid matter* down the toilet - which is where it should go! The nappies themselves are quite clean so can be washed along with the rest of the families laundry, or a separate nappy wash. There is no need to wash at 90c, 40 or 60c is fine.
Home laundering isn't as labour intensive as it may seem. If using Real Nappies exclusively you will be doing around an extra 3 washloads a week for a newborn and 2 for an older baby.
*For newborn, or unwell babies you may have to soak to remove any staining that is not captured with the use of liners.
- Pre wash new nappies several times before using to increase absorbency.
- Use an 'A' Rated energy efficient washing machine.
- Wash at 40 or 60c, as well as being better for the environment and your pocket it will prolong the life of your nappies.
- Use environmentally friendly detergents, or eco balls.
- Line dry as much as possible - as well as being better for the environment the sun also acts as a natural bleaching agent.
- Don't iron nappies!
- Don't use fabric conditioner as it will reduce the absorbency of your nappies.
- If you choose to soak your nappies you could use 2-3 tbs of white distilled vinegar; 5 drops of tea tree oil; or 1 tbs sanitising powder (not suitable for use on Velcro or waterproof fabrics) to 5 litres of water.
*If in doubt contact the distributor or manufacturer.